Beginning in 2020, the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission began administering the Harness Racing at County Fairs. The Standardbred un-cashed ticket money is annually allocated to the purses for harness racing at county fairs in Kentucky and the Fair Finals, along with any other money contributed or allocated to the fund. In 2023, the races will begin on Memorial Day weekend in Lebanon and wrap up at the historic Red Mile in July.
To be eligible for the Kentucky Proud Series, the horse must be a two (2) year old or a three (3) year old that is a Kentucky-bred as defined in 810 KAR 7:040 and has met all requirements of 810 KAR 5:080. • Saturday, May 27: Washington County Fair (Lebanon)
• Saturday, June 3: Purchase District Fair (Mayfield)
• Saturday, June 10: Ballard County Fair (LaCenter)
• Wednesday, June 21: McCracken Couty Fair (Paducah)
• Wednesday, June 28: Marion County Fair (Lebanon)
• Wednesday July 5: Woodford County Fair (Lebanon)
• Sunday, July 16: Mercer County Fair (The Red Mile)
• Sunday, July 23: KY Proud Finals (The Red Mile)
Purses: Each race will have a purse of $1,500 per entry per division with a minimum purse of $6,000, per race and a Finals purse of $50,000.
Minimum Number of Starts: In addition to the points outlined in 810 KAR 5:080, a horse must have started in at least one-half (50% / 4 starts) of the Kentucky Proud Series to be eligible to race in the Kentucky Proud Series Final.
**PLEASE NOTE THE UPDATED NOMINATION DATES**
Fees to Participate in 2023: Paid to the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission except when noted.
1. A nomination fee of fifty ($50) dollars per horse due on or before March 1, 2023;
2. A sustaining fee of $200 per horse due on or before May 1, 2023;
3. A starting fee of fifty ($50) dollars per horse, per race, due at the time of entry paid to the Fair; and
4. A $200 payment shall be due at the time of entry for a horse eligible for the finals.
Entries can be made online through the USTA or for phone entries please call Susan Nash (859) 227-4578 or Patty Cooksey (502) 229-6233
Number of Starters and Purse Distributions: There shall be no more than two (2) trailers in any race.
• On a one (1) mile track, there shall be ten (10) horses on the gate and the race shall split on eleven (11) horses.
• On a five-eighths mile track, there shall be eight (8) horses on the gate and the race shall split at nine (9) horses.
• On a half mile track, there shall be five (5) horses on the gate with two (2) trailers, and the race shall split on eight (8) horses.
See the related documents list below for more information and nomination forms for the 2023 Kentucky Proud Series Conditions.
Please contact Program Coordinator Susan Nash with any questions (859) 227-4578