Beginning in 2020, the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission began administering the Harness Racing at County Fairs. The Standardbred un-cashed ticket money is annually allocated to the purses for harness racing at county fairs in Kentucky and the Fair Finals, along with any other money contributed or allocated to the fund. The Fairs begin in early June in West Kentucky and wrap up at the historic Red Mile in early August.
In order to be eligible for the Kentucky Proud Series, the horse must be a two (2) year old or a three (3) year old that is a Kentucky-bred as defined in 810 KAR 7:040 and has met all requirements of 810 KAR 5:080.
Race Dates (Tentative):
• Saturday, May 29: Washington County at Lebanon
• Saturday June 5: Graves County
• Saturday June 12: Ballard County
• Tuesday June 22: McCracken County
• Tuesday June 29: Marion County
• Wednesday July 7: Woodford County at Lebanon
• Tuesday July 12: Mercer County at The Red Mile
• Tuesday July 20: Final at The Red Mile.
For entry into the KY Proud Series, contact Bret Shultz at 502-377-7024.
Purses: Purses will be $1,000 per horse entered plus an additional bonus of $1,000 per trailer on a ½ mile & 5/8 mile tracks. Purses for the Finals will be $25,000.
Minimum Number of Starts: In addition to the points set forth in 810 KAR 5:080, a horse must have started in at least one-half (50%) of the Kentucky Proud Series in order to be eligible to race in the Kentucky Proud Series Final.
Fees to Participate in 2021: Paid to the Kentucky Horse Racing Commission except when noted.
1. A nomination fee of fifty ($50) dollars per horse due on or before February 15, 2021;
2. A sustaining fee of $200 per horse due on or before April 15, 2021;
3. A starting fee of fifty ($50) dollars per horse, per race, due at the time of entry paid to the Fair; and
4. A $200 payment shall be due at the time of entry for a horse eligible for the finals.
Number of Starters and Purse Distributions: There shall be no more than two (2) trailers in any race.
• On a one (1) mile track, there shall be ten (10) horses on the gate and the race shall split on eleven (11) horses.
• On a half mile track or five-eighths mile track, there shall be five (5) horses on the gate with two (2) trailers, and the race shall split on eight (8) horses.
Click for full description of Kentucky Proud 2021 Conditions.